To report an outage, call
Pokemon Go Safety Reminder Around Electrical Equipment
Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corporation wants kids playing the popular Pokémon Go game to have fun but remember to think safety around substations and electrical equipment. Players and all members of the public should stay far away from power plants, substations and other electric equipment.
The reality game Pokémon Go sends players on the hunt to “catch” animated Pokémon characters that appear overlaid on a live scene viewed through an app on a mobile phone. As players move to various locations to find new characters, it’s important that players stay aware of their surroundings and away from danger.
Players want to #CatchEmAll, but are advised to do so at a safe distance from electric substations and other electric equipment. Entering an electric substation is both a crime and very dangerous. Members of the public should never attempt to gain access for any reason.
Blue Ridge Electric urges parents of children who play the game to talk to them about how to be safe around electricity, and to always heed all instructions on signs and warnings related to electric equipment.
Important safety tips:
• Stay far away from electric facilities, such as substations and power plants, even if the game leads to that equipment.
• NEVER touch electric equipment, including transformers and power lines.
• NEVER enter an active work zone, which could contain moving equipment and excavations.
• Do not climb power poles or throw things into power lines.
• Stay away from power lines that have fallen because they can still be energized.
• Power lines near trees also pose a danger; exercise caution and check for power lines before climbing a tree.