To report an outage, call
BLUE RIDGE ENERGY: PREPARED FOR POTENTIAL IMPACTS OF IRMA
Blue Ridge Energy is closely monitoring the evolving path of Hurricane Irma and crews and all employees are ready to respond to any outages that may occur. Because electric cooperatives like Blue Ridge Energy are based in the communities they serve, they can quickly address any impacts and begin restoration efforts quickly.
Line crews have stocked their trucks with materials needed for repairs, including chain saws for tree removal if needed to reach affected areas. Additional contractor crews are on standby if needed. And, cooperatives across the state and nation are coordinating to assist one another.
While the exact path of Hurricane Irma and its impacts to North Carolina are still uncertain as of Friday, the state’s cooperatives are preparing for the potential of strong winds and heavy rains that could bring down power lines and result in outages. Cooperative members are urged to prepare now for the possibility of an outage situation.
Tips for preparations you can make before a storm hits are:
- Make a plan. Outline a communications and evacuation plan for your family before a hurricane warning is issued to minimize confusion and fear. If you have pets or livestock, include them in your plan.
- Assemble an emergency kit. It should include a three-day supply of non-perishable food, water and medication, as well as any other items you might need in case of a power outage, such as a flashlight, radio and batteries.
- Charge your cell phone. This will allow you to stay connected to emergency and safety updates even if the power goes out.
- Secure outdoor items. Safely store lawn furniture, decorations, toys, garbage cans and other items that can be brought indoors. Tie down larger objects like boats and trailers.
- Close windows and doors in the event of high winds.
- Fuel up. Fill up your vehicles before the storm as a loss of power could put gas stations out of commission.
Members should report any outages to Blue Ridge Energy’s PowerLine: 1-800-448-2383. Or download the Blue Ridge Energy mobile app, available for free on app stores.
As a safety reminder, if high winds or rain lead to fallen trees and power lines, remember to stay far away from downed lines! Downed power lines can be dangerous, even deadly. Report downed power lines to Blue Ridge Energy at 1-800-451-5474 or call 911 immediately.
Blue Ridge Energy serves some 75,000 cooperative members in northwest North Carolina. For more information, visit www.BlueRidgeEnergy.com.