You Can Perform a Home Energy Walkthrough
See how you can take the first steps to saving energy and increasing comfort with a home energy assessment.
You go to the doctor once a year for a checkup; it's smart to do the same thing for your home with a home energy assessment to help diagnose and stop waste. That's the best medicine to help make your home more comfortable and efficient.
Little bits of energy waste add up, so making sure all the systems in your home are working at peak efficiency matters:
- Set your water heater temperature at 120°F, which is hot enough for comfortable showers without wasting energy.
- Energy-efficient LED lighting uses less energy and lasts longer than conventional incandescent bulbs.
- Use a programmable thermostat to set home temperatures forward or back while you're asleep or away to save up to 10% on your heating and cooling costs.
- Electronics continue to use energy even when they're fully charged or turned off. Use advanced power strips to stop these vampire loads from feasting on your electricity.
- Purchase ENERGY STAR®-rated appliances and electronics to save on energy and water use.
- Seal cracks and gaps around your home with caulk or expanding foam. This acts as a windbreaker for your home, helping the insulation work up to its full potential.
- Check insulation levels; make sure they're up to at least minimum recommendations.
- Ductwork exposed in unconditioned spaces, like attics, should also be air-sealed and insulated. This will keep you from heating and cooling the great outdoors.
Smart energy savings around your home really add up to making your home more comfortable and efficient.
Originally Featured on TouchStoneEnergy.com
Want More Tips & Other Helpful Resources?
Sign up for our monthly e-newsletter for more money-saving ways to manage your energy use!